Brown Sugar Shortbread
Servings: 3 Dozen
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 1/4 Cups All-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually stir in the flour. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pat into a 1/3″ thick rectangle measuring 11 x 8″.
- Cut into 2 x 1″ strips. Or use cookie press.
- Place 1″ apart on ungreased baking sheet. Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until bottom begins too brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies
Servings: 6 dozen
- 1 C butter
- 2 C white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 t vanilla extract
- 3 c All-Purpose Flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 10 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking powder; add and mix well.
- Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Divide dough in half. Roll out each half to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with desired shaped cookie cutters.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Carolyn’s Cut-Out Cookies
- ¾ C Sugar
- ½ C Butter
- ½ C Crisco I didn’t have any so I used more butter, or shortening
- ½ t salt
- ¾ t baking soda
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 C flour
- Cream these ingredients together.
- Add 1 egg and mix well with electric beater for 5 minutes.
- Add 2¾ C flour, beat by hand 2-3 minutes
- Divide into 4 flattened balls and chill for 1 hour. Roll out on lightly floured surface 1/8” thick. Cut with cookie cutters.
- Place 1 1/2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°. Bake small cookies 8-10 minutes, large cookies 10 – 12 minutes.
Chocolate Heart Wedding Cookies
Servings: 40 3″
- 3 Sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ C Sugar
- 2 Eggs , lightly beaten
- 3 C all purpose flour
- 1 ½ C Cocoa
- ¼ t Salt
- 1/3 t freshly ground black pepper
- pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 t Ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- ¼ t freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Just a hint of food color
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and stir by hand into butter mixture until thoroughly incorporated. (You may need to add flour if the dough seems too soft).
- Divide the dough into 3 flat rounds, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- On well-floured board, roll out the dough to a thickness of slightly more than 1/8”.
- Cut the dough into 3” hearts and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, just until cookies are crisp but not darkened. Let cool on wire racks.
- Mix the sugar, egg white, and lemon juice in a bowl until very smooth and creamy. It should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add more confectioner’s sugar if necessary.
- When cookies have cooled completely, dip one half into the icing.
- Gently shake off excess and place on a rack until the icing hardens.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze.