- 2 lbs beef round steak or sirloin tip cut into strips 2" x ⅛"
- ½ cup butter
- dash garlic powder
- ½ cup chopped onion minced
- 2 green peppers cut in strips
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- mushrooms if desired
- Brown the mushrooms
- Add beef to melted butter in skillet
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and cook, stirring slightly until browned
- Remove meat, add onion and green pepper
- Saute about 2 minutes
- Return meat to skillet along with tomatoes and bullion, simmer for 5 minutes
- Blend together the corn starch, water, soy sauce, sugar, and salt
- Stir into meat and thicken
- 2 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 round roast 4-5#
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup cognac
- 2 cup beef stock
- 3 cup full-bodied red wine
- Heat butter and oil in dutch oven on Med High heat
- Rub roast with salt & pepper
- Brown beef all sides (takes about 10 minutes)
- Pour cognac into pan, warm it, flame with a match (it takes a while to burn out)
- Pour in Stock and ½ cup wine
- Cover and simmer over low heat 3-5 hours. Make sure there is always a cup of liquid
- Shred the meat
Beef Fillets in Balsamic Sauce
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus oil to coat steaks divided
- 4 tablespoons butter ½ stick
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 beef tenderloin fillets 6 ounces each
- Pinch of finely chopped parsley
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
To make sauce:
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil and the butter in large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, salt and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until onions are caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Add wines, broth, vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
To make beef:
- Lightly rub fillets with remaining oil to coat; season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Grill to desired doneness.
- Place onions and sauce on large serving platter and top with steaks.
- Garnish with parsley and sprigs of rosemary.
Sirloin Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 Sirloin Steaks
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T flour
- 2 C water
- 1 pkg dry soup mix
- 1 beef bouillon
- 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- Cut sirloin into serving portions.
- Brown steak in the olive oil then remove from the pan.
- Add the flour and any additional oil to pan to make a roux, stir for a minute.
- Add water, onion soup, and bouillon stirring until combined.
- Add garlic and pepper to taste.
- Allow to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add the mushrooms and sirloin.
- Cover the pan and place in a slow oven (275 degrees) for 3-4 hours.
This could also be put in a crock pot and cooked on the low setting.
Marinate meat about 7 to 10 days in the following
- 1 onion quartered
- Salt and pepper
- ½ lemon – squeeze out juice use rind too
- 1 T. mixed pickling spices
- 10 to 12 ginger snaps
- ¾ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- Use enough liquid in same ratio to cover the meat
- After 7 to 10 days Remove meat from marinade and dry.
- Put meat in uncovered kettle and brown in 400 degree oven.
- Put all above in kettle and cook at 300 degrees about 1-1/2 to 2 hours
- Take out meat and strain liquid. Onions, lemon, snaps and etc won’t be needed.
- To strained liquid, add a couple tablespoons of flour mixed in water to thicken the liquid for gravy.
- Sweeten with sugar to taste. Add salt to taste.
- Add ¼ cup of raisins (optional) (I do)
- Put meat and liquid back in 300 degree oven for about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and let it cool so it slices without falling apart.