Classic Tuna Salad
- 2-3 cans of high-quality tuna or 1 lb of your homemade tunafish
- 4 T diced celery
- 6-7 T high quality mayonnaise
- 2-3 T Dijon or other good mustard
- 1-2 t finely chopped dill
- 1/2 a medium onion finely chopped
- 1 T finely chopped parsley optional
- 1/4 t cayenne optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flake the tuna into chunks. If you bought it oil-packed, as I recommend, let it be coated in oil. Don’t wash the tuna.
- Mix the tuna with all the other ingredients in a bowl. Test for salt and add it to taste.
Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 can of tuna fish 6 ounce, if packed in water, drain it, and add a teaspoon of good quality olive oil
- 1/3 cup of cottage cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of mayonaise
- 1/4 purple onion chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk chopped finely
- 1 Tablespoon of capers
- Juice of half of a lemon
- Pinch or two of dill
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Slices of French bread lightly toasted
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped red orange, and or yellow bell peppers, seeded and de-stemmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley packed
- 2 cans of tuna do not drain, packed in olive oil , or if you get tuna packed in water, drain the water out and add 2-3 Tbsp olive oil.
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed
- 1/4-1/3 a head of lettuce preferably iceberg lettuce, sliced first and roughly chopped into 2 inch long strips
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika we use sweet Hungarian
- Fresh ground pepper
- In a saucepan, add 1 cup of elbow macaroni to 1 quart of boiling water with an added teaspoon of salt. Simmer either covered or uncovered for about 10 minutes until the macaroni is just a little more cooked than al dente. When ready, remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water.
- While the macaroni is cooking, assemble the other ingredients. In a large bowl mix the green onion, bell peppers, parsley, tuna, celery and lemon. Add the cooked and drained macaroni. Fold in the iceberg lettuce and mayonnaise until well mixed. Add the paprika. Add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Eat up. This salad does not make good leftovers as the lettuce will eventually get soggy.