Servings: 3 cups
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Place first four (dry) ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan, along with 1/2 cup of the milk and whisk to combine into a thick paste.
- Add the remaining milk, bring the mixture to a boil, and whisk to combine well. When sauce boils, reduce heat to low and simmer very gently for 5 minutes, whisking often. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and cool.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, covered.
BONUS TIP: May be used hot or cold; on ice cream, cake, fruit, or combined with milk to make a quick cup of hot chocolate (blend milk and amount of sauce to your own taste). add orange liqueur and a bit of orange zest for a chocolate orange sauce add a couple of tablespoons of bourbon and some cherries for a cherry bounce chocolate sauce add some mint extract and chopped fresh mint leaves for a chocolate mint sauce add some crushed peppermint candy for a chocolate peppermint sauce