- 3 slices bacon
- 1½ lbs thinly sliced round steak ¼" thick
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 medium dill pickles cut in quarters lenthwise
- 6 medium carrots about 1 lb, cut in quarters lenthwise
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 can Beefy or Golden Mushroom soup
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup parsnips chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
In skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove & crumble
Cut meat into 6 pieces (6" x 4"); pound
Spread each with 1 tsp mustard
Place pieces of pickle and 4 pieces of carrot across the narrow end, sprinkle with 2 tsp onion
Starting at narrow end, roll up. Tuck in ends, fasten with toothpicks or skewers
Brown roll-ups in drippings, pour off fat
Stir in soup, celery, parsnips, and parsley
Cover, cook over low heat 1 hr 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
Thin with water if desired
Serve with mashed potatoes, garnish with bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak or round steak cut very thinly
- Dry yellow mustard powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 large onions cut into narrow wedges
- several dill pickles cut into thin spears
- pieces several carrots cut into narrow, about 4” long pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cube beef bouillon
Cut the meat into pieces about 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches wide.
Generously sprinkle one side of each with mustard and paprika, with a little salt and pepper. Place carrots, onions and pickle slices on each piece of meat and form into a roll. Use string or toothpicks to hold the roll together.
Shake flour over the roll on all sides.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Place the rolls in the butter and saute until browned.
Pour in 2 1/2 cups of water and add the bouillon cube; stirring to dissolve the bouillon cube. Simmer the rolls for about an hour.
I sometimes make additional brown gravy or use a beefy mushroom soup to add to the liquid. If I serve with potatoes, I like to crumble cooked bacon over all. Everything's better with Bacon.