Servings: 48 brownies
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cup walnuts
- Melt chocolate and shortening in saucepan or microwave
- Mix in sugar
- Beat in eggs and salt
- Add flour and baking powder, beating after each addition
- Add walnuts and beat into mixture
- Pour batter into greased 9×15 pan
- Bake 350° for 20 minutes. Or, microwave medium high 6 min — check, medium high 6 minutes — check, high 4 minutes until dry
Brown Sugar Shortbread
Servings: 3 dozen
- 1 C butter no substitutes, softened
- 1/2 C packed brown sugar powdered sugar? Per Sara
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Gradually stir in the flour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pat into a 1/3″ thick rectangle, measuring 8 x 11″. Cut into 2 x 1″ rectangles.
- Place 1″ apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Prick with a fork. Bake at 300° for 25 minutes or until bottom begins to brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Buttery shortbread, a layer of toffee, and chocolate topping make these cookie bars a favorite sweet among families in Ireland. Invite your kids to help make a batch for a special St. Patrick’s Day snack.
Servings: 16 squares
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 6- ounce bag of chocolate chips
- Shortbread: Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar. Stir in the flour until well mixed. Press the batter into a 9-inch square pan (a good job for kids). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Let cool.
- Toffee: Melt the 1/2 cup of butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup, and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continually. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour over the cooled shortbread.
- Topping: Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or a microwave oven. Stir until smooth. Pour over the cooled toffee. Cut into 16 squares.