Bean Soup with Ham
- 1 ham bone with some meat left on
- 2 cups Navy Northern beans or mixed beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Wash the beans and add to a medium to large pan on the stove.
Cover with water, boil, and turn off the heat.
Let sit about a 1/2 hour.
Drain the beans, and place all the ingredients in the crock pot.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or so, then switch to low and continue to cook. You want the beans to be done, but not mushy.
Add more water if needed to make it a soup consistency as it cooks.
Cut the meat off the bone and put in with the beans and remove the bay leaf before serving
Bean Soup With Ham Bone
- 1 lb navy beans
- 3 qt water
- 1 ham bone
- 1 cup celery
- 1 med onion chopped
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 Tbsp salt
Simmer beans in water with ham bone for about 2 hours.
Add other ingredients and simmer 2 hours longer until beans and tender.
Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup
- 2 cups navy beans -- soaked overnight
- 6 strips crispy fried bacon -- minced
- 3 medium carrots -- minced
- 3 medium celery stalks -- minced
- 1 medium onion -- minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 6 cups water more if needed
- 2 cups ham stock if available -- decrease water
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- few drops liquid Barbecue Smoke® -- optional
- salt and pepper -- to taste
Soak beans overnight and discard water. Place all ingredients except wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a large kettle. Simmer until beans are tender (about 3 hours) .(substituting 1 or 2 cups of ham stock for 1 or 2 cups of water gives this soup an extra depth of flavor)
Puree 1 to 2 cups of soup and return to pot. Add wine vinegar and liquid smoke, mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
Oven-baked bean Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
4 hrs 40 mins
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1-1/4 pounds fully cooked ham diced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce 8 ounces each
- 1 cup each diced onion celery and carrot
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in a 6-qt. ovenproof Dutch oven. Cover and bake at 350° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until beans are tender.
Oven-baked Split Pea Soup
- large cast iron pot with a tight fitting lid
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 celery stalks
- 3 medium carrots
- dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 ham hocks or one meaty ham bone optional
- 1 pound of dried split peas
- water vegetable broth, or chicken broth
325° for about 2 hours.