- 5 tomatoes diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
In a large bowl, combine the tomato, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, basil, parsley, garlic and vinegar. Toss and add salt and pepper to taste. Chill and serve.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cucumbers peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 ripe tomatoes cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 ounces feta cheese cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to make a dressing.
Add cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, feta cheese and olives and toss gently to combine.
- 1/2 small red onion optional, sliced
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 pound tomatoes cut in wedges or diced
- 1 small cucumber cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
- 8 calamata olives pitted and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 green or red pepper thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces feta cheese cut in small dice or crumbled
Place the onion in a bowl, cover with cold water and let sit for five minutes. Drain, rinse and dry on paper towels. (The reason for soaking the onion is to wash away some of the compounds that cause the onion flavor to linger in your mouth.) Combine with the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, pepper, dill and mint in a large bowl.
Mix together the lemon juice, salt and olive oil. Toss half of the dressing with the tomato mixture and half with the spinach. Combine everything in one bowl, add the feta, toss together thoroughly and serve.
Advance preparation: You can prepare the ingredients and dressing several hours before you toss the salad. Keep them in the refrigerator.
- 2 cucumbers
- 2-3 medium sized Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ) or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or to taste
Cut the tomatoes and cucumbers into small pieces; place in bowl, add all remaining ingredients and stir.
Refrigerate for an hour while all flavors come together. Add more of above ingredients to suit your taste.
Cooks Note: 2 fresh garlic cloves may be substituted for garlic powder; crush or finely mince (or use a blender) the garlic into the balsamic vinegar and allow to sit for 15 minutes to take the "edge" off. Fresh, chopped basil is a wonderful enhancement to this salad!